Physical development is the process that starts in human infancy and continues into late adolescent concentrating on gross and fine motor skills as well as puberty. As a child learns what their bodies can do, they gain self-confidence, promoting social and emotional development.
Table of Contents
PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT IN YOUTH
Physical development is divided into two areas, growth and development.
Growth is the physical changes of, the increase in size, height and weight. Development is how children gain control over their physical actions to do complicated and difficult activities more skilfully and easily.
Physical development involves developing control over the body, particularly muscles and physical coordination.
OBSTACLES TO YOUTH PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
There are conditions which prevent children from keeping their body physically fit. These are:
- Lack of sleep – a child needs to sleep well in order to allow the body organs rest for a while.
- Lack of exercises – a child who does not exercise will develop weak limbs.
- Diseases – diseases weaken the child and cause some deformity in him.
- Poor diet – poor diet makes a child weak and unfit.
This is unsafe environment for growth and development especially the children.
WHAT MUST BE DONE TO KEEP BODIES WELL GROOMED?
- Children should be allowed to sleep well.
- They should be encouraged to do regular exercises.
- They should be given good diet which contains protein, starch, oil and vitamins.
- They should be encouraged to maintain personal hygiene, that is, be neat and clean always.
- Total cleanliness and care of body – eyes, nose, mouth (teeth and tongue), hands, finger nails, legs, toe nails, private parts.
Strategies and activities
Step1: Teacher revises the previous topic
Step2: Teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3: Teacher explains the new topic
Step4: Teacher welcomes pupils questions
Step 5: Teacher evaluates the pupils
Evaluation and Assignment
- Explain physical develop;
- List five obstacles of physical development in youth
- What must be done to keep bodies well groomed?