The sewing machine is major sewing equipment. It is very important in successful sewing. There are different types and makes of sewing machines. The following are common types of sewing machines.
Table of Contents
- HAND SEWING MACHINE: This is a simply, it is operated just with hand. It requires to be placed on a table.
- TREADLE SEWNG MACHINE: This is operated with the feet. The worker has both hands free for guiding the work. It normally has a special stand.
- ELECTRIC SEWING MACHINE: This is operated with to aid of an electric motor.
PARTS OF A SEWING MACHINE
|1.||Balance wheel||i) It is turned either forward or backward to machine sew.
ii) It rises and loners the needle.
|2.||Foot presser||It holds the fabrics firmly in place for stitching|
|3.||Presser foot lifter||It is uses to raise and loner the presser foot, it is at the back of the machine|
|4.||Feed – dog||i) It holds the fabric tight against the presser foot
ii) It pills the fabric along for stitching as it moves up and down. It is a tooth like piece of metal under the pressure foot.
|5.||Throat plate||Provides slots or opening through which the needle projects down – ward and the feed – dog upward.|
|6.||Spool pin||This holds the spool of the thread.
|7.||Thread guide||i. These support the thread from one part of the machine to another.
ii. They prevent the thread from twisting.
|8.||Needle clamp||It is an attachment for needle.|
|9.||Stitch regulator||It is used to shorten or lengthen the stitches of the machine|
|10.||Bobbin||It is used for winding the thread which goes in the lower part of the machine|
|11.||Bobbin case||It is the case that holds the bobbin.|
|12.||Stop matron screw||This is loosened to disconnect the needle and stop from moving when the machine is operated. It is the balance wheel.|
|13.||Tension discs||This regulates the tightness of the thread as it forms the stitches.|
GUIDELINES FOR CHOOSING SEWING MACHINES
- Compare similar types of sewing machines by different manufacturers.
- Compare their servicing arrangements, parts, prices and any other necessary information.
- Consider the weight of the machine is very heavy may be too different to carry about.
- Consider the money available. Buy the best your money can afford.
- Before paying for the machine, check to ensure that you have the instruction manual or handbook all the accessories and spare parts that accompany the in chive.
- Before carrying away the machine. It is necessary to have the dealer demonstrate to you how is should be operated. Then try it out yourself.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF SEWING MACHINES
- Study the machine handbook (manual) carefully.
- Clean the machine often by dusting to remove, dirt and dust.
- Oil the necessary point according to the hard book.
- Cover the machine when not in use.
- Do not scratch the plain work of machine by using sharp object like scissors on it.
- Disconnect the belt of a treadle machines to enable the encasement of the machine in its box.