Digital Divide is used to describe the division of the world into two different groups. i.e. those that have access to the internet and those who do not have access to the internet. In other words, it is the unequal access by some members of the society to information and communication technology. The term global digital divide refers to differences in technology development and access between countries or continents.
Table of Contents
In the technology revolution, Digital divide is basically the disparity between those that have access to technology tools and those who don’t.
THOSE THAT HAVE ACCESS
- Educated people.
- People living in urban areas or cities.
- More industrially developed countries.
- People with high income.
- People with good skills, knowledge and ability to use the internet.
THOSE THAT DO NOT HAVE ACCESS
- Uneducated people
- People living in rural areas or villages.
- Less industrially developed countries.
- People with low income
- People that lack skill, knowledge and ability to use the internet.
FACTORS AFFECTING DIGITAL DIVIDE
The major factors affecting digital divide are listed below:
- Economy factor
- Geographical factor
- Fear of technology
- Social factor
- Lack of motivation
- What do you understand by the term “Digital Divide”?
- Mention TWO groups of people who have access to digital technology and those who do not.
- Explain economic factor.
- How does lack of motivation affect digital divide?
- What is Digital Divide?
- List the factor affecting digital divide.
A handbook on computer studies page 1
- ………………. is a term that describes the disparity between users and non-users of information technologies. A. Digit divide B. Literacy C. Digital divide D. None.
- Which of these options describes digital divide? A. combination of those that uses ICT and that who do not B. educated and uneducated computer operator C. gap between computer literate and computer illiterate. D. all
- Low income earners do not benefit from digital divide because A. they are illiterate B. high cost of technology devices. C. they are not interested in ICT D. none
- Which of these factors describe hindrance of the network because of forest? A. society factor B. geographical factor C. economic factor D lack of Motivation.
- One of the following is not a factor affecting digital divide. ? A. eagerness factor B. geographical factor C. economic factor D lack of motivation.
- What is digital divide?
- Mention two features of old economy.