DEFINITION AND MEANING OF GOOD POSTURE
Posture means keeping the natural balance of the body aligned. It is the way the body parts are held up or carried when we walk, stand, sit or work. In good posture, the back is kept straight, shoulders pull well, and back and hand held high.
Table of Contents
IMPORTANCE OF GOOD POSTURE
- Good posture enhances appearance
- It gives the body a comfortable and relaxed feeling
- It promotes good health
- Good posture gives dignity, self-confidence and respect
- It allows fitness of clothes.
GOOD READING POSTURE
- Use a good table and chair of comfortable height
- Let the chair provides support for your hips and lower back
- Do not bend too low towards the book
- Keep the legs under the table and hands comfortably on the table.
GOOD STANDING POSTURE
- Always stand firmly in both feet so that both of them can carry your weight
- Do not place your weight on one leg
- Stand with the head up and chest out
- Tuck in your tummy or abdomen
- Straighten your shoulder, that is, hold it erect
- Avoid tight clothes e.g. tight girdles, ill-fitting shoes. They prevent easy movement.
MEANING AND DEFINITION OF EXERCISE
Exercise is the acts of making the body perform some activities such as jumping, swimming, running e.t.c. Because the human body is designed for movement, it needs regular exercise.
IMPORTANCE OF EXERCISE
- It increases the flow of blood to the muscles
- It makes the muscles strong, firm and healthy
- It helps the whole body to keep fit and healthy
- It stimulates appetite
- It encourages sound sleep and growth
- Flow of energy to the body is increased
- The risk of heart disease is reduced s cholesterols level can be lowered.
GUIDELINES FOR EXERCISING THE BODY
- Build your exercise routine around activities you enjoy
- Exercise the body regularly
- Exercise 20 to 30 minutes a day
- Exercise daily or at least 3 to 5 times a week
- Before you begin any exercise programme, check with your doctor to make sure the routine you have chosen is safe for you.
- Each work out should begin with warm up activities such as walking, followed by gentle stretching
- Have a cool down period after exercise with slower movements and additional stretching
- Never use drugs for exercise and sports.
- Define posture
- Mention four functions of exercise
- Sate 5 guidelines for exercising the body