The word gymnastics means naked art and it originated in ancient Greece. Gymnastics are physical exercises designed to improve strength, balance, flexibility, agility and co-ordination of the body.
Table of Contents
Scope of gymnastics.
Gymnastics floor activities can be classified into three, which are
- The stunts activities (individual or with a partner)
- The tumbling activities
- The balancing activities
The stunts are brief activities performed on the floor, mat or foams. Stunt can be done individually or with a partner.
Examples of individual stunt activities include:
- Frog jump
- Sit up
- Cat spring
d. Trunk curl
f. Cycling in the air
- Rabbit Jump
h. Bear walk
Examples of stunts with a partner include:
- See saw
- Wheelbarrow walk
- Leg wrestling
(2) Tumbling: is an activity that involves turning, twisting , rolling and springing of the human body.
Examples of tumbling activities include:
- Forward roll
- Backward roll
- Front somersault
- Back somersault
- Balancing is a gymnastics activity that can also be carried out on the floor.
Examples of balancing activities include:
- Head stand balance
- Hand stand balance
- Squat balance
- Knee balance
- Crab balance
- Chest balance
- Side arm balance
- Side arm balance
The sequence of forward roll in gymnastics
- Spread a mat and stand at the end of the mat, facing the direction of rolling
- Take a squating position , place palms forward on the mat , shoulders wide apart and knees between the arms.
- Tuck the chin to the chest , making a rounded back.
- Raise the buttocks and look between the legs as far back as possible
- Roll over the neck and shoulders With the knees close to the chest
- Roll out and stand up.
Values of Gymnastics
The following are the values and benefits of gymnastics
- Gymnastics enchance alertness and quick reasoning. Participant become creative and discover new movement patterns.
- Participants build courage and self-confidence, determination and endurance
- Participants learn cooperation, team work, loyalty and patriotism
- It devep the muscles and improve body posture, flexibility, agility and strength.
- It provides means of livelihood
1 Who is a gymnast?
- Who is a spotter in gymnastics?