- The law of love
- Love as the new commandment of Jesus Christ
- Moral Lesson
1) THE LAW OF LOVE Luke 10:25-28
One day, when Jesus was teaching, a lawyer stood up to test Him. He asked Jesus what he should do to have eternal life. Jesus replied by asking him what was written in the law? In reply the lawyer said, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself. Jesus answered that he had answered rightly and added. Do this and you will live.
Table of Contents
2) LOVE AS THE NEW COMMANDMENT OF JESUS CHRIST JOHN 13:33,
I COR. 13:4-13
The new commandment or law which Jesus gave His disciples was love. He said a new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, by this, all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
Paul, who had earlier preached the gospel to the Corinthians, later wrote a letter to them about love. Here are the characteristics of the God kind of love that Paul enumerated in I Corinthians. 13:4-8
- It is kind
- It is patient
- It is not arrogant or boastful
- It is not jealous
- It is not resentful or irritable
- It does not rejoice at wrong but rejoices in the right
- It believes all things
- It endures all things
- It hopes all things
- It does not fail
Infact, he told them that the crown of all virtues (good character) is love. Therefore, Christians should see love as supreme.
- Love is free: – There is no limit to love. It touches all aspects of life
- Love is better expressed. We must act it out, to meet and help a neighbour in need.
- What are the properties of love?
- Explain what was written in the law which Jesus asked the lawyer to recite.
- How does love affect human relationship?
- Explain this term in your own words Love is the first commandment
- List five characteristics of love.
- Mention five people who demonstrated love in the Bible and explain in details how they demonstrated it..
- Who asked Jesus What must I do enter eternal life (a) a gentile (b) a Pharisee (c) a lawyer (d) a Sadducees
- According to Jesus, you are to love your neighbor ____ (a) more than yourself (b) as you loved yourself (c) and grant all their request (d) and please them at your expenses
- The commandment given by Jesus was on ____ (a) Decalogue (b) Pentateuch (c) Agape love (d) forgiveness
4 he crown of all virtues and good character is ____ (a) patience (b) kindness (c) love (d) hope
- The following people extensively emphasises on love except ____ (a) Jesus (b) Paul (c) Peter (d) hope
- What is love?
- What are the dos and don’ts of love