Also referred to as trace or minor nutrients. They are required in small quantities/traces. They are essential for proper growth and development of plants.
Table of Contents
ROLE OF MICRONUTRIENTS AND THEIR DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS
- Role in oxidation-reduction reactions.
- Respiration and utilization of iron
- Deficiency symptoms-yellowing of young leaves.
- Synthesis of proteins.
- Takes part in oxidation-reduction reactions.
- Deficiency symptoms – leaf chlorosis
- Nitrogen transformation in plants.
- Metabolization of nitrates to amino acids and proteins
- Deficiency symptoms –leaf curl and scathing.
Manganese – Same as molybdenum.
- Formation of growth hormone.
- Reproduction process
- Deficiency symptoms – white bud formation.
- Absorption of water.
- Translocation of sugar
- These are chemically produced substances added to the soil to improve fertility classification according to nutrients contained
Straight – contain only one macronutrient.
Compound fertilizers – contain more than one macronutrient
Time of application
Some applied when planting.
Top dressing after crop emergence
Effects on the soil pH.
- Acidic fertilizers.
- Neutral fertilizers.
- Basic fertilizers.