Meaning of Negotiation
Negotiation is a means of getting one’s needs through the process of discussion and exchange of ideas. It can also be defined as a dialogue between two or more people or parties intended to reach a beneficial outcome. It is a method by which people settle differences. It involves the use of creative problem solving skills in resolving such conflicts. Business wise, it can be seen as a bargaining (give and take) process between two or more parties.
Table of Contents
A good negotiator plans a strategic approach but prepares for the unexpected. Preparation entails gathering and assessing as many facts as possible.
Situation That May Need Negotiation
- Leadership tussle or problem
- Use of contraceptives
- To have or not to have sexual intercourse
- The type of parties to attend
- The club to join; membership of peer group
- What is negotiation?
- Mention three situations that may need negotiation.
Steps in Successful Negotiation
- State your position using ‘I’ statements, say what you want or need (e.g. I would like to make more money).
- Listen to the other person’s position.
- Find out what the other person wants or needs.
- Restate the person’s position to be sure you understand it.
- Both parties should consider their needs and purposes, then create alternatives that will work for both.
- Agree on a solution. Try it out and if it does not work start the process all over.
- Get an adult (parents, pastor etc.) to intervene when physical force is involved.
General Evaluation/Revision Question
- The following are conflict resolution method except Dialogue B. Hatred C. Mediation D. Negotiation E. Tolerance
- A good citizen should exhibit all the following except honesty B. Integrity C. Patriotism D. Selfishness E. Tolerance
- Disagreement which leads to lockouts, strikes civil disobedience, resolution and war is called __________ Agreement B. Conflict C. Harmony D. Peace E. Promotion
- A good _________ plans a strategic approach and prepares for the unexpected marketer B. buyer C. negotiator D. teacher E. banker
- _____________ can intervene when physical force is involved Baby B. Pastor C. Friend D. Stranger E. Hair dresser
- ____ is a discussion aimed at arriving at a peaceful agreement Conflict B. Socialization C. Peer group D. Negotiation
- Effective communication is essential in any negotiation. Yes or No
- To ____ people must have the ability to exchange ideas, concerns, proposals and arguments. contest B. socialize C. negotiate D. money
- Negotiation promotes understanding and tolerance. Yes or No
- Negotiation works best when a problem/conflict is addressed in its early stage. Yes or No
- What is negotiation?
- Mention three suitable that may need negotiation.