An organized list of instructions that, when executed, causes the computer to behave in a predetermined manner is called a program. There are many programming languages –C, C++, Pascal, BASIC, FORTRAN, COBOL, and LISP are just few. These are high level programing languages. We also have low level language called assembly languages and machine language.
Table of Contents
Eventually, every program must be translated into machine language that the computer understands. This translation is done by a compiler, interpreters, and assembler. When you buy software, you normally buy an executable version of program. This means that the program is already in machine language i.e it has already been compiled and assembled and it’s ready to execute.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD PROGRAM
- Accuracy: program should be sufficiently accurate to get the desired result
- Simplicity: program logic should be as simple and uncomplicated as possible
- Testability: place test points in the program
- Efficiency: design program to use the least amount of primary storage and fewest devices possible.
- Flexibility: account for all possible varieties of data input and processing conditions
- Generality: Design the program to be generalized and flexible.
PRECAUTIONS IN PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
There are certain precautions that one should take during the development of a program. These are:
- Patience: one should be patient enough and should not rush during programming process
- Step following: All the steps of a program should be followed religiously without skipping of steps
- Execution order: The order of execution of instructions should be followed
- Fresh mind: one should be sufficiently fresh to work on a program
- What is a computer program
- List characteristics of a good program
- List precautions to be taken when writing a program
Students are allowed to give correction on the evaluation test and summarize the lesson. Teacher allows students to ask questions for better understanding and to clear doubt
List the steps involved in program development