Reproduction is the ability of living organism to produce young ones of their kind. It is necessary for the continuity of life.
Table of Contents
TYPES OF REPRODUCTION
There are two main types of reproduction
- Asexual reproduction
- Sexual Reproduction
Asexual Reproduction: This is the type of reproduction that involves only one parent. Examples are vegetative reproduction, binary fission etc.
Sexual Reproduction: This involves the female and male sexes. The female produces a sex cell or gamete called ovum or egg. The male produces the male gametes called sperms. The nuclei of the gametes from both sexes fuse during fertilization. Fertilization is the fusion of the male and the female sex cell to form zygote.
PARTS OF THE MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM AND THEIR FUNCTIONS
|a.||Testes||Produces the male sex (sperm)|
|b.||Scrotal sac||Houses the testes|
|c.||Penis||Introduces sperm into the vagina of the female|
|d.||Vas deferens||Transfer sperm from testes to seminal vesicle|
|e.||Urethra||Carries sperm within the penis into female organ|
Care of the Male Reproductive Organs
- Bath and shower daily
- Avoid tight underwear and clothing
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet
- Wear protective gear when playing contact sports
PARTS OF THE FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM AND THEIR FUNCTIONS
|a.||Ovaries||Produce female sex (i.e. egg or ovum)|
|b.||Fallopian funnel||Receives the egg cells from the ovary|
|c.||Oviduct||Carries the egg cell to uterus|
|d.||Uterus(womb)||Receives and cares for developing foetus|
|e.||Vagina||Receives the penis during copulation|
Care of the Female Reproductive Organs
- Take bath daily (day and night)
- Avoid taking illegal drugs.
- Females should always wear good, clean panties
- Use a clean toilet to avoid vaginal infection.
- Take balanced diet regularly
- In case of any abnormalities, see the gynecologist immediately