In our last class on grammar, we were looking at simple present tense, but now our focus will be on the simple past tense.
THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE: is used for an action that took place in the past. For example:
(i) John drove to Lagos on Monday
(ii) Yesterday, I ate rice
(iii) I was at work yesterday
To make the simple past tense we use:
(i) Past form (of verbs only)
(ii) Auxiliary did + base form
EVALUATION: Complete the table below.
Simple Present Tense (Everyday) Simple Past Tense (Yesterday)
- I go I went
- I write ________________________
- I run ________________________
- They choose ________________________
- He digs ________________________
- He begins ________________________
ASSIGNMENT: Explain the difference that exist between the simple present tense and the simple past tense with examples in sentences.