Adverbs are words that adds more information to a verb, to an adjective and to another adverb. We shall be looking at only two types of adverbs in this lesson: –
- Adverb of manner:- Which is used to show how an action is done e.g. fast, slowly, badly, well e.t.c.
Sentence – (i) It all ends sadly
- (ii) The girls ran quickly
- Adverbs of frequency: – Is used to show how often or how many times an action takes place. E.g., daily, yearly, always, often, twice, sometimes
Sentences (i) I see him daily.
(ii) It often rains in port Harcourt
CLASS WORK: Pick out the adverbs and indicate which are adverbs of manner, time, place and frequency.
- He goes to work daily (adverb of frequency)
- I’ve been seeing him everywhere
- We are travelling today
- Lanre did the work willingly
- We sometimes travel by bus
ASSIGNMENT: Explain the following types of adverbs with adequate examples – Adverb of frequency and manner