Human trafficking is the act of taking children and women out of their homes to work as domestic servants or commercial sex workers in or out of their country.
Table of Contents
Factors Responsible for Trafficking in Children and Women
- Bad Economy: The economic challenges has greatly motivated. So many people to engage in the bad act of children and women trafficking. This happens because everyone is finding means of making ends meet.
- Crave of wealthy: the passion for wealth and material needs people to engage in the act of human trafficking. Many people have considered this as business, a fast way of making money.
- Poverty: it is referred to inability of an individual to provide for his/her family basic necessities of life. This has led many people to release their children for traffickers. They feel the income generate from children would help them in living a better life.
- Unemployment: As a result of the bad economy many people have left or lost their jobs, while the fresh graduate and those that are qualified to work have no job the jobless are made people to venture into children and women trafficking.
- Peer group influence: Many people had been introduced into the bad act of trafficking by their friends. These people take it to be business.
- Greed: Those who are into contented with their income often fall into the hands of traffickers mainly because of their greed. They want to be rich as others.
CONSEQUENCES OF TRAFFICKING IN CHILDREN AND WOMEN
Human trafficking is a national and international criminal offence. These are some of the negative effects of human trafficking.
- It leads to untimely death
- It leads to unwanted pregnancy
- It kills child’s initiative
- It leads to psychological trauma
- It retards child’s growth
- It dents the nation’s image
- It leads to sexual abuse and harassment
- Tendency to contact HIV/AIDS
- Human right violations
- Increase in the level of illiteracy
- It Leads to Untimely Death: The children and women are at the risk of contacting sexual transmitted disease that can lead to death eventually.
- Unwanted Pregnancy: If a girl or woman is subjected to rape, it may lead to unwanted pregnancy or unwanted baby.
- It Kills Child’s Initiative: Trafficking in children and women generally does not allow these children participating and contributions in the development of any society.
- It Leads to Psychological Trauma: Some children and women that are introduced to menial jobs and are sexually harassed or abused can be disturbed psychological.
- Retards Child Growth: A child’s physical and mental growth can be retard or hindered due to malnutrition and lack of care from people they are serving.
- Stiff punishment
- Compulsory education
- Appropriate legislation
- Public enlightment programme
- Tight security at the borders
- Improvement of the economy
- Proper upbringing of children
- Stiff Punishment: The law should be designed in such a way that those caught the act should be severely punished.
- Compulsory Education: Education should be made compulsory for all children to a particular age
- Appropriate Legislature: The national assembly should make laws that will prevent or put a total stop to children and women trafficking
- Tight Security at the Borders: Military and paramilitary personnel should be at the border to ensure that people involved in this acts are arrested.
- Improvement of the Economy: Government should initiate and implement good policies that will improve the economy
- Proper Upbringing of Children: Parents should put good values in their children so that they can live with it in the future.
- Public Enlightenment Programme: People should exposed the reason why they should engage in human trafficking