A computer system or tool is a collection of hardware and software components designed to provide an effective tool for computer system and are used in everywhere to assist us in the various task we perform.
CHARACTERISTICS OF COMPUTERS AS TOOL FOR DATA PROCESSING
- SPEED: A computer is a very fast device, it can carry out instructions at a very high speed obediently uncritically and without exhibiting any emotions. Some calculation that would have taken hours and days to complete otherwise, can be completed in few seconds usually the computer is calculated in MHz, that is one million instructions per second.
- ACCURACY: Accuracy of a computer is consistently high and the degree of accuracy of a particular computer depends on the instructions and type of processor. Computer has high accuracy in performing tasks.
- VERSATILITY: Versatility is one of the most wonderful things about computer. Multi-processing features of computer makes it quite versatile in nature. A computer has the ability to do several things at the same time. It can perform different types of tasks with ease.
- RELIABILITY: Computers are reliable any time, any day. Computers never make mistakes of their own.
- POWER OF REMEMBERING: A computer can store and recall any amount of information because of its storage capabilities. The computer have the power to remember and retrieve information even after 10 years or more.
- NO IQ: It passes no intelligence of its own. Its IQ is zero at least till today. It can only perform what is programmed to do. It is only the user that can determine what tasks a computer will perform.
- DILIGENCE: The computer is a machine, does not suffer from the human traits of tiredness nor does it loses concentration even after working continuously for a long time. This characteristics is especially useful for those jobs where same tasks is done again and again. It can perform long and complex calculations with same and accuracy from the start till the end.
- STORAGE: The computers have a lot of storage devices which can store a large amount of data. Data storage is essential function of the computer. Secondary storage devices like floppy disk can store a large amount of data permanently.
List five (5) characteristics of computers as tool for data processing
Students also read these