Punctuation marks is a sign mark used in writing to divide sentence and phrases.
1a. THE COMMA (,): It is used after ‘No’ and ‘Yes’. Example
No, they never go to church
Yes, we have done the assignment
- It is used in lists
Ade pays tennis, volley ball and football
- It is used after all linking words. An example: Augutus, therefore, become an unlucky man.
- THE FULL STOP (.): This is used in abbreviation. Example: U.S.A, U.K, M.A, B.A etc.
(ii) It is used at the end of a sentence. An example: Abu came to Lagos yesterday
- THE QUESTION MARK (?): It is used after direct speech. examples
(i) What is your father’s name?
(ii) Where are the thieves?
- THE COLON (:) – It is used for introducing quotation, lists etc. Examples: Baba said: “People who are well, do not need a doctor but only those who are sick.
- THE SEMI COLON (;) – It is used between two closely joined principal clauses. Examples
(i) The sun was setting; the shadows were long
(ii) The book is not mine; it is my uncle’s.
Reference to Oxford English Book 2. Page 25. Replace the asterisks in the following sentences with capital letters, full – stop, question marks and commas. (a – e)