Religion is what people believe and worship. It is a belief about the existence of God and human behaviour. There are three main religions in Nigeria.
Table of Contents
Christianity, Islam and Traditional Religion.
Names we call God in Nigeria
Ethnics groups Names the people call God
(i) Yoruba – Olodumare
(ii) Hausa – Ubangi
(iii) Igbo – Chukwu
(iv) Efik – Abasi
(v) Edo – Osanobua
Objects of Worship
Things Religion Teaches Us
Religion teaches us good morals. Some other things it teaches us are:
- Faith in God
- Being good
- Love for one another.
- Identify the Holy Bible from the pictures in this module.
- Who are the people using the Tesbar for worship?
- Name the three main religions in Nigeria.
- Who is the head of the Islamic religion?
- Who are the people using Bible in their worship?
- Find out from your teacher the similarities between the Bible and the Qur’an
- Ask your friends about their religion.
- Write down three things you do in the church, mosque or shrine.
- With the help of your teacher, identify the cowries in the pictures in this module.
Places of Worship
- A Church
A church is a place where Christians worship.
- A Mosque
A mosque is a place where Muslims worship.
- A Shrine
A shrine is a place where traditional believers worship.
- Name two places of worship you know in your locality.
- Name three things you do in the church, mosque or shrine.
- What days do Christians and Muslims worship during, the week?
- What are the things they use for worship in traditional religion?
- Find out from your teacher the difference between a church and a mosque.
- Visit a church or mosque or shrine with your teacher.
- Write down three things you have seen in the church or mosque or shrine.
- Who is a Pastor?
- Who is an Imam?