Self-reliance means the ability to do things by oneself without depending on other people to achieve the (set goals) them. It is the total transformation of a society without too much reliance/dependence on other country/society for development. Many people depend on others, for survival. This may be dangerous. But a self-reliant person or nation would be able to achieve its set goals/objective without necessary depending on others.
Table of Contents
A serious student will not depend on his friends and teachers alone to study and pass examinations. He/she must be hard working in his/her study.
Attributes/Qualities of Self-reliance
- Belief and self-determination.
- You must be focused and conscious of your goals and objectives.
- Usage of available resources and personal efforts.
- You must have good knowledge of what you want to do.
- Confidence and ability to decide for oneself.
Reasons why person should be self-reliant
- To gain personal freedom
- To be accountable for oneself
- To develop, acquire new skills and become more creative
- It enables one to have self-control, discipline and self-control, discipline and self-respect.
Benefits of self-reliance
A self-reliant person would be able to:
- Acquire new skills and learn on the job without reliance on others
- It enables one to progress and develop in life.
- It makes one to be independent of others.
- It brings about self-independent of others
- It brings about self-esteem, self-respect and happiness.
- It brings about cooperation
- It encourages inter dependence, diligence and contribution of every member
- It enables them to be able to decide on issues.
Benefit to the Society
- Economic stability and less dependence on the foreigners.
- It encourages popular participation
- It brings about equity and fairness in public affairs.
- It promotes self-reliance, cooperation in the society.
Obstacles to Self-reliance in Nigeria
- Lack of public orientation and political consciousness on the needs and roles of the society.
- Lack of determination and political will of the leaders to (change the society of the country) transform the society (leadership problem).
- Lack of unity among the ethnic groups to move Nigeria forward.
- Some individual attitudes of people go against self-reliance. Acts like indiscipline corruption affects the development of the country.
How to discover our natural talents
- Through discovery method from experts
- Through teaching (expository method)
- Through trial and error until one gets the answer or solution to the problem.
- Through imitation from people close to us or that we have access to.
- Through God’s inspiration through revelations.
- Define self-reliance
- Mention 4 attributes of self reliance
- List 3 ways of identifying talent