Meaning of Skill Acquisition
A skill is a special ability acquired through training in order to do something in a better way. Skill is also defined as the ability to bring about some end result with maximum certainty an minimum outlay of time and energy. There is a different between talent and skill. Skill is usually acquired through training from either a formal or an informal setting.
Table of Contents
Talent is an inborn ability to do certain things. It is possible to be talented but not skilled. The training acquired will help the talented individual to improve on his/her ability. An acquired skill is perfected through constant practice and training. Psychologists believe that when you practice a skill continuous for seven years or 10,000 hours it becomes part of you.
Someone who has undergone training to acquire a skill is called a professional or an expert while someone who knows little or nothing about a skill is called a novice. The process of moving from being a novice or unskilled person to a skilled person or a professional is called skill acquisition. Skill acquisition is the process of learning and mastering a particular skill.
Reasons for Skill Acquisition
- To earn a living: Skill could be acquired in order provide a means of livelihood for the individual. The individual uses the money earned from using his skills to meet basic needs.
- For employment: Acquiring a skill provides an individual with the opportunity of being self-employed. Skill acquisition reduces the stress of seeking for a job all over the place. The more engaged a person is in a profession, the more skillful he/she becomes. Such a person can even earn more money by training others. The person becomes a decision maker and a manager of emergencies
- For independence: skill acquisition enables one to be independent, not relying on friends and family for survival
Other reasons for skill acquisition include:
- Risk taking
- Decision making
- Managing emergency situation
- Survival strategy
- Learning to live together
- Improvement of quality of life.
- Appreciating human capacity
Types of Skills
There are different skills that can be acquired and they include:
- Automobile repairs (mechanical works)
- Hair dressing/barber’s work
- Panel beating
- Book binding
- Computer literacy
- Fine art
- Brick laying
- Metal work
- Electrical installation
- Video coverage
- Fish farming
- Shoe making
- Fashion designing
- Hat/bead making
- Desktop publishing
Importance of Skill Acquisition
- Improvement in skills and knowledge.
- Improvement in communication.
- Improvement on the quality of life.
- Survival strategy.
- Means of livelihood.
- Self-gratification and independence.
- Meaningful contribution to the society.