The skin is the outer covering of the body. It performs a very important function, it is necessary to understand the structure of the skin and how to take care of it. The skin is made up of two main layers, viz:
Table of Contents
- The Epidermis: this is the outer layer; it has no blood vessels or nerves. It is covered with hair and tiny holes called sweat pores. Sweat passes out through the pores.
- The Dermis: this is the inner layer of the skin. It is made up of the following:
- Sweat gland which produce sweat
- Oil gland which produces oil that keeps the skin and hair soft and fresh.
- Blood vessels and nerves which keep the skin healthy and help it to perform its functions
- Fat deposit which reduce heat loss from the body.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SKIN
- It protects the body from bacterial infection (germs), poor weather and injury
- It helps to keep the body temperature normal
- It helps the body to get rid of waste product through sweating
- It also keeps the body warm in cold weather
- When the sun shines on the skin, vitamin D is produced by the body.
CARE OF THE SKIN
- Wash your whole body daily and more than once
- Do not use a bleaching cream
- Use mild skin cream and oil
- Always have a bath after serious game or exercise to avoid body odour
- Avoid using other people’s towel and clothes
- Use good toilet soap, soft sponge and clean water
TYPES OF SKIN
- Normal skin
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Combination skin (i.e oil and dry skin)
- Mention four functions of the skin
- list the types of skin