THE NOSE AND EAR
The nose is the organ of smell. The very top of the nose consists of bone. The rest is made of cartilage, small muscles and skin lined with a fine moist mucous membrane. The lining of the membrane contains small glands which produce watery secretion. The secretion keeps the lining moist. The nose is divided into two nostrils by a partition called septum. The nerves of smell which run from the nose to the brain are called olfactory nerves there are tiny hairs at the entrance of the nose. They act as filters for the air that goes to the lungs.
FUNCTIONS OF THE NOSE
- It is the sense organ of smell
- It acts as a passage or channel through which the air we breathe passes in and out of the lungs
- The air entering the lungs is filtered and warmed by the tiny hairs at the entrance of the nostrils.
CARE OF THE NOSE
- Avoid pushing objects into the nose
- Avoid picking or poking the nose with finger nail or any object
- Blow the nose gently and avoid the habit of sniffing
- Avoid plucking the hair in the nose
- When it is necessary, the nose should be cleaned with clean handkerchief or a clean piece of soft tissue paper
- See a doctor for the treatment of any nose infection
THE EAR (Structure)
The ear is divided into three parts; the outer ear, the middle ear and inner ear. The outer ear is the part we see. It looks like a funnel. It picks sounds or vibrations. The vibrations are carried to the eardrum, which is between the outer ear and the middle ear. The sound then passes through the auditory nerve. There are tiny hairs at the entrance of the outer ear. These trap dust and any tiny insects or objects that try to enter the inner parts of the ear. The passage also contains wax which further helps to trap the dust and other objects.
Functions of the ear
- It is the sense organ for hearing
- It helps us to maintain balance.
CARE OF THE EAR
- Avoid putting any sharp object into the ear.
- Wash the outer ear daily and dry carefully with clean towel.
- Do not attempt to reach your internal ear with an object
- Remove small excess of wax in the ear canal gently with cotton swab
- Any form of ear-each should be reported to the Doctor.
- List the different parts into which the ear can be divided
- Mention the functions of the ear
- State the purposes of the hair in the nose
Draw and label the structure of the ear.
HOME ECONOMICS AND NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT