SRUCTURES, PARTS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE HUMAN BODY
The human body is made up of different parts. Some parts are inside the body while others are outside. Some parts of the body are the head, eyes, nose, ears, teeth, skin, hands, fingers, nails and feet.
THE HAIR AND THE EYES
Each hair grows from a narrow tube in the skin called hair follicle. Each follicle has a tiny oil gland near its base. The gland produces oil that lubricates the hair and softens the skin around it.
FUNCTIONS OF THE HAIR
- it protects the head
- it keeps the head warm in cold weather
- it improves personal appearance and adds beauty to a person
WAYS OF CARING FOR THE HAIR
The hair can be cared for by:
- Washing or shampooing the hair frequently. Short hair can be washed daily while long hair can be washed at least once a week.
- Combing or brushing the hair thoroughly to remove dirt and dry scales (dandruff). It also stimulates the circulation of blood and keep the hair healthy.
- Oiling the hair regularly to prevent dryness of the hair and scalp. Excessive dryness could lead to hair damage.
STRUCTURE OF THE EYE
the eye is one of the five sense organs . It is for seeing. The eye is made up of different parts. Each part performs a special function. An understanding of the different parts of the eye will help you take good care of your eyes
PARTS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE EYES
|The eyebrow||Prevents sweat from running down into the eyes|
|The eye lashes||Protects the eyes from dust and dirt|
|The eye lids||Can close to protect the eye from foreign object|
|The eye balls||These are the organs of sight. Each is connected to the brain by the sensory nerve called optical nerve|
|Cornea||A protective layer. It keeps dust and dirt from passing through the pupil of the eyes.|
|The iris||The coloured part of the eye. It surrounds the pupil.|
|The pupil||The hole in front of the eyeball through which light rays pass into the eye|
|The lens||A glass-like part of the eye, it focuses the light rays into one spot on the retina thus forming the image.|
|The retina||A light sensitive spot where images are formed|
|Tear gland||Pours out tear over the front of the eyes. The tear washes away any dust which enters the eye.|
CARE OF THE EYES
- Do not look directly at an electric light or the sun
- Use good light when reading or doing any work such as sewing. Poor light strains the eyes
- Do not wash your eyes with disinfectant unless on Doctor’s advice
- Do not fix your eyes to watching television, reading books, writing or sewing for a very long period. Relax the eyes by looking up from time to time.
- Eat food rich in vitamin A such as carrots, green vegetables and red palm oil.
- Avoid using another person’s glasses.
Common eye defects
- Long sightedness; results in inability to see objects that are too near but objects that are far can be seen
- Short sightedness; result in inability to see objects that are far away but objects that are near can be seen.
- Night blindness; results in inability to see in the dark
EVALUATION: Mention 6 part of the eye and their functions
ASSIGNMENT: Draw and label the structure of the eye.
HOME ECONOMICS AND NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT