Affix : An element that is added to a base or root word to form another word. Affixes can be in the form of prefixes or suffixes.
A PREFIX: is an affix that is added to the beginning of a word e.g. “audio” in “audio-visual” is both a prefix and an affix.
“l A SUFFIX: is an affix that is added to the end of a word. Thus, aholic” in ”workaholic “is a suffix and an affix. Here are some common prefixes with their meaning.
PREFIX MEANING EXAMPLES
a- on afloat, above
ab- away, from absolve, abnormal
ante- before ante-natal, ante-room
anti- against ante-aircraft, anti-body
con- with, together confederation, conjunction
de- down, below, opposite defreeze, depress
di- two, twice, double disyllabic, detractive
en- in, make enclose, enlarge
bi-, two, twice, double bicycle, bilingual
ex- out, away export, exhale
ex- former ex-wife, ex-student
fore- before forehead, forever on
hyper- more, greater hyperactive, hypertension
inter- between, among international, interchange.
SUFFIXES: examples are
- Some suffixes make the new words adjective. They include –any, -evy, -en, -ish, -less, -ly, -ous, -ic, like, -y, -ful, e.g dangerous, useless.
- Those which make the words verbs include, -ing, -ed, -ude, -em, -ure, -ise, -ize, -yse, e,g nationalize, lighten.
- Suffixes which two words into nouns include: -er, -or, -ar, -er, -ship, -hood,-ness, -ance,-ism,-dom,-tion, -ity, -ure, e.g punishment, friendship, childhood.
A ROOT: is the smallest or basic part of a word which is joined by a prefix or suffix. E.g happy – unhappy, solve –dissolve, come – welcome. We can also add suffixes to these words such as happiness, solvent, comes/comedy
Complete the following by supplying suitable prefixes, using these: (dis, ex, il, im, in, ir, fore, de, mis, un)
- ——- port, (b) —— legal (c) —– take (d) —–quality (e) —– press (f) —–manage (g) —-safe (h) —-rail (i) ——sufficient (j) —- moral (k) —- direct (l) —- polite.
Complete the following by supplying suitable suffixes using these: (ful, ness, able, less, ment, er, ant, al, or)
- Happy (b) accident (c) profession (d) harm (e) hope (f) engine (g) fair (h) attend (i) miser (j) enjoy (k) judge (l) farm
ASSIGNEMT: Give 2 examples of words that have the following prefixes in them: mat, ploy, post, pro, re, sub, super, tele, tri, trans, uni, dis, in, mis, non, un, im, il