This is a formal organization whose member are not related to one another but come together to achieve a common goal.
Table of Contents
Forums/types of secondary group
- Schools: These include primary schools secondary schools and tertiary institutions (Universities, polytechnics, colleges of education etc).
- Comprise: These are cooperate organizations that engages in trading and manufacturing activities. Examples are, UNRULIER NIG. PLC, MTN, GLOBACOM, etc.
- Trade unions: These includes workers association like;
NUJ: Nigeria Union of journalist
NUT: Nigeria Union of teachers
NASU: Non-Academic staff union of education and associated institutions
NUP: Nigeria Union of parishioners
NURTW: Nigeria Union of road transport workers
- Religions groups: these includes all churches and mosques
- Voluntary organizations: These are group of people who renders humanitarian service to the society. Such organization include, man ‘O’ war, Boys Brigades, Red cross, National council of woman societies etc.
Functions of secondary groups
- Maintenance of law and order in the society
- They unity in the society
- It promotes friendliness among its members which results in peaceful relationship
- They also encourage division of labour especially in an organization
- They help individual members to learn new role for example, workers in an organization could be promoted to higher post which is different from and challenges
- They also prepare members for higher leadership roles in the larger society.
In summary, secondary society groups act as training grooms where members are nurture for political leadership.
Conflict within social groups
Conflict refers to misunderstanding or disagreement between two or more people
Causes of conflicts
- Selfishness: Deriving of one’s right is very common is social organizations in our society and person created or deprive will negatively react to claim his rights
- Lack of cooperation: Failure to work as a team often result to disagreement, misunderstanding and division
- Bad leadership: When leaders are greedy and suffering, there will be conflict
- Lack of religions to learn: The major role of religions groups is to promote peace in the society. Imposition of religion on actives and physical treat over which religion is the best often result to conflict in our social
- Communication gap: when needed information are not supplied at the right time conflict will set in
- Laziness and inefficiency: Diligent workers protest when laziness and inefficiency are notice in some members of a group
- Criminal activities : Such as kidnapping, murder, frond, immorality will result into serious conflict within a social group in the society
Effects of conflicts in the society
- Break down of law and order
- Loss of lives and property
- Hinders progress in the society
- Brigs disunity
- Dialogue: It involves the two party and a third party who will stand as a mediator of peace to end such conflict
- Through the law court: conflicts can also be resolved by using the legal methods
- Through the police: conflict between individual, family members, religions group, friends colleagues can be reported to the police for immediate intervention
- Government intervention: Government can set up a panel to mediate between groups unloving in conflict
- Through family or village head: Conflict within the family are settled by the family head while the village head settles conflict in this a village
- Through wars: This is a negative way of resolving conflict. The move powerful side wins the while the other side surrenders. It causes detection of levees aid properties. A typical example is the Nigerian Civil war between 1967 and 1970. The Nigeria army over powered the Biafra side and eventually the war ended in favour of Nigeria.
- Define secondary social group
- List the forms/types and explain
- State the functions of secondary social group
- Define conflict
- State the causes of conflict
- Highlight the effects of conflict
- Explain five conflict resolutions