Social environment refers to the cutting group of individuals and institutions with whom a person interacts. Such as customs, language, norms, dressing, primary groups, secondary groups, religious institutions, political institutions, educational institutions, economic institutions.
Table of Contents
Social organizations are people in the society who are well organized with characteristic pattern of relationship
- Primary group
Types of social groups
- Secondary group
This refers to people with closer relationship over a long period of time.
Examples of primary group are: Family age group, peer group and kinship groups.
Characteristics of primary group
- There is always a face – to – face interaction
- It has a small size of people
- Group member are loyal to one another
- They are emotionally committed to one another
- They have a permanent relationship
- It is a multi-purpose organization
The family as a primary social group
A family is a group of people who are related by heredity or adoption.
The family is the first social group where a child is taught what is right and what his role is in the society though examples.
Types of family
- Nuclear family
- Extended family
Nuclear family: This is made up of father mother and the children.
It can be monogamous i.e. a family made up of the man, his wife and the children. It can also be polygamous i.e. a family made up of the man, more than one wife and the children.
Extended family: This is a process where family relations such as uncles, grandparents, aunties, live with the nuclear family in the same house or compound.
Other forums of family are:
- Foster family: This is a family in where a couple or adults are acting as parents who may or may not be their relations. (Guardians)
- Single parent family: This is a family in which children live with only one of their biological parents (either the father or the mother). This often occurs due to divorce or death of one of the couple.
Role and responsibilities of family members
- He provides money for the family sustenance
- He protects and defends the family
- He ensures proper up-bringing of children
- He trains the family on good believer through good exemplary life style
- He also over sees disciplinary activities at home
- He ensures that unity, harmony, love and peace exist between family members.
- She prepares delicious meals for the family
- She ensures meatless and cleanliness of the home
- Trains the children how to take care of the home, watch clothes & plaits and prepare food
- Report every act of indiscipline at home for the husband for necessary action
- She also supports the father in meeting family needs
- Demon striates acceptable believer to the children through good life style
- Obedience to all instruction from their parents
- Co-operating with their parents with their parents while they are being trained
- Attend School regularly and make their parents proud all the time
- Taking good care of the house chores
- Be of good behavior everywhere at all tries
- Respect and show love to everyone in the family
- Always report important incidents which may need their parents taking immediate action
- Seek parents advice and percussion when necessary
- What are social problems?
- Define social organization
- List the types of social groups
- State the characteristics of social groups
- Define a family as one of the primary social group
- Highlight the roles of each member that makes a family
Assignment : social studies Melrose workbook JSS one.