A verb which is in past tense shows what has already happened.
Example: Tito liked his grandmother’s story.
The verb liked tells that the action in the sentence happened before now.
Rules for forming the Past Tense
- Most verbs: Add -ed
Play – played
Talk – talked
Climb – climbed
- Verbs ending with e: Add -d
Praise – praised
Hope – hoped
Wipe – wiped
- Verbs ending with a consonant and -y: change the y to i and add -ed
Carry – carried
Bury – buried
Study – studied
- Verbs ending with a single vowel and add-ed
Stop – stopped
A consonant: Double the final consonant
Man – manned
Trip – tripped
Write the past tense forms of each of the verbs in brackets in the following sentences.
- John _____________ his house burn into ashes. (w)
- The baby _____________ loudly. (cry)
- The teacher ______________ at the naughty student. (yell)
- The chef ______________ a delicious cake. (bake)
- We ______________ for a present for our grandmother. (shop)