Time management is the process of planning, organizing, implementing, and evaluating the use of time in order to accomplish or perform certain tasks or duties.
Table of Contents
Energy is the ability in us that enables us to do work. It is human resources, everyone has energy to use but the one we have is limited. Energy management is the process of planning and controlling the use of energy in order to preserve it. When energy is properly managed more tasks can be accomplished in a shorter time without much fatigue.
Time and energy management is the process of proper use of planned time and energy to carry out food preparation without fatigue. (i.e. after meal preparation, the homemaker or food handler is still full of energy)
TASKS IN FOOD PREPARATION THAT REQUIRES TIME AND ENEGRY MANAGEMENT
- Washing up dishes and pots
- Weighing, cutting and grinding ingredient
- Arranging working area and ingredient
- Clearing, cleaning, moping and tiding the kitchen
- Cooking the meal
- Arranging the equipment back to shelve
- Laying and setting table
- Plan of work
IMPORTANCE OF TIME AND ENERGY MANAGEMENT IN FOOD PREPARATION
- It will reduce waste of time or eliminate prolong cooking
- It make meal preparation interesting and less fatigue
- You can prepare many dishes and drinks within a specific period of time
- It avoid waste of cooking fuel
- It prevent kitchen accident
- It makes meal preparation faster
- It helps to increase the home maker interest in cooking
- The major reason for energy management is to conserve it.
GUIDELINES FOR TIME AND ENEGRY MANAGEMENT
- Use a time table or a time plan, this will help to avoid confusion and ensure that meal preparation is accomplished at specified time without fatigue.
- Arrange the kitchen in such a way to prevent retracing of your steps so that work can be carried out in a sequence
- An arrangement of equipment to suit this sequence can conserve time and energy for the home maker.
- Use the best method suitable for each dish
- Prepare properly for the meal preparation, for instance, avoid uncomfortable dress.
- Avoid distraction, it leads to waste of time and energy
- Provide and use suitable cooking equipment for the various dishes prepared
- Allocate time for washing utensil and put them away during cooking process
- Use labour saving devices or equipment where necessary. E.g. use tray for carrying dishes instead of carrying them one after the other, use electric blender to grind pepper instead of grinding stone.
- Use convenient food and rechauffe (left over food effectively save time and energy)
- Explain time and energy management
- Outline five importance of time and energy management in food preparation
- Mention five guidelines for time and energy management.
Itemise 10 time and energy management devices.