A cut is a slit or break on the skin caused by sharp objects such as razor blades, broken glass and knives while bruises are caused by blunt blows.
- Store sharp objects safely.
- Use and care for knives appropriately.
- Dispose off empty tins, broken bottles and other sharp objects e.g. by burying.
- Keep doors of cupboards, wardrobes and drawers closed.
- Household items should be kept in their appropriate places.
- Clean the wound with clean water or a weak antiseptic solution.
- Cover with sterile gauze or a pad of cotton wool and bandage.
- For a deep cut, press onto the wound with a pad of cotton wool and bandage.
- Raise the wounded part if it is a limb to reduce pain.
- Seek medical attention.
Cool the bruised part with very cold water or dab with a cloth soaked in cold water.
Raise the injured part if a limb to cut down amount of blood flowing into it so as to reduce the swelling.