STANDARD OF ORGANIZATION OF NIGERIA (SON)
The Nigerian Standard Organization Acts 1971, established as an integral part of the Federal Ministries of Industries are to carry out the following functions:
- To designate, establish and approve standard in respect of meteorology, materials, commodities, structures and processes for the certification of products in Commerce and Industries throughout Nigeria.
- To provide necessary measures for quality control of raw materials and products in conformity with the standard specification.
- To compile Nigerian standard specifications.
- To ensure compliance with the designated standard.
- To establish a quality assurance system including certifications of factories, products and laboratories.
- To develop methods for testing of materials, supplies and equipment items purchased for use by public and private establishments.
- To undertake preparation and distribution of standard samples.
- To establish and maintain laboratories necessary for the performance of its functions.
NATIONAL AGENCY FOR FOOD AND DRUGS ADMINISTRATION AND DRUG CONTROL (NAFDAC)
NAFDAC was established in 1993 with functions to regulate and control the importation, exportation, manufacturing, advertisement, distribution, sale and use of foods, drugs and cosmetics, medical devices, bottle water and chemicals.
No drug products, cosmetics or medical devices shall be manufactured, imported, exported, advertised, sold or distributed in Nigeria unless it has been registered in accordance with the provisions and regulations made under a 1993 Act.
State five Nafdac rules guiding the production of cosmetics.
Look out for 10 different cosmetics, check their NAFDAC NO, production dates and expiry dates and write them out.