What is cooking? Cooking is a process of preparing food by applying heat. Discuss reasons for cooking food. Identify different methods of cooking. State general rules for different methods of cooking.
Why do we cook food?
- To improve flavour or taste of food.
- To improve appearance and make it more appealing.
- To kill germs and parasites hence making it safe for human consumption.
- To preserve it.
- To make it tender/ soft, hence easy to chew, digest and absorb.
- To improve the texture.
Factors that Determine Methods of Cooking
- Type of food to be cooked.
- Personal taste/ preference.
- Person being cooked for.
- Time available.
- Cooking equipment available.
- Number of people to be served.
- Amount of money available.
There are two main categories of methods of cooking namely:
- Those that use moist heat
- Those that use dry heat