- To pronounce the vowel /e/, the front of the tongue is raised a little from the floor of the mouth. It is also pushed a little to the front. The tip of the tongue touches the lower teeth. Read out the following sentences – note the underlined letters.
- He said “Let us go home”
- My elder brother is the new treasurer
- Lanre met his friend at the railway station
- To pronounce the vowel /Ʒ:/, like the vowel /^/, the centre of the tongue is raised but the mouth is not as wide open, and /Ʒ:/ is a long vowel.
Read out the following sentences and note the underlined letters (in those words:
- This shirt on me in new
- In a hospital, you will see doctors and nurses at work
- The early bird catches the worm
EVALUATION: Make your sentences with these words: next, debt, spread, bet, guess
ASSIGNMENT: Transcribe the following words: (i) nurse (ii) hurt (iii) burst (iv) heard (v) worm